Using Starling in India 🇮🇳

ATM’s in India are a bit variable. Rejected at most in Delhi airport except Citibank ATM.

Traveling near Lucknow card rejected at Union Bank of India but accepted by Allahabad Bank. Some ATMs had no money and some were rejecting a few local cards also.

When card worked got very good Rupee rate although some ATMs have small local charge (such as Citibank ATM in Delhi Airport).

Please note you get a lot of Rupees per GBP and the cost of living is not high so you don’t need much cash in India. I suggest small amounts and frequently or else you get very high denomination notes !

Starling say will arrange for Mastercard database to be updated so non-functioning ATMs should come on-line in due course.

Thanks for sharing this @Andyc - hope you had a good time in India!

I think it’s time for a Starling forum rule:
All travellers reporting back on our card’s use, should include a photo of the location.

Would love to see more travel snaps - yes please! :camera_flash:

India is a country of massive contrasts. In November 2017 I could use my Starling card to draw out cash and these guys were ploughing the fields like this.

and what about this … sitting on a branch below my bedroom window !

Now THAT’S what I’m talking about :+1::grinning:

What an incredible colour! :bird:

It is. Well played, Andy.

Nearly all ATM in India take a fee of 200 Rupees or more (about £2.30) every time you make a withdrawal with an international card. I heard one bank that does not take an international card fee is Canara Bank. So if you are using Starling in India and do not want fees, try to find a Canara Bank.
Most shops and restaurants in the larger towns in tourist areas take chip and pin though I heard some restaurants do not take international cards for some bizzare reason.

In India, I believe ATM usage is not free even for domestic cards in a unlimited way. Till a few years back , ATMs were not free for usage for other bank cards. Then it was made free but the ATM banking systems couldn’t take it and started to fail often. The reason given was that the banking systems cant cope with the number of transactions coming from other banks. So it was made free for a limited number of usages per month - 5 or so) to reduce the load.
On top of that, there is another domestic card payment provider called Rupay which works mostly for Indian banks only. Rupay was introduced by the government of India to reduce dependencies on foreign providers like Visa and Mastercard and also to reduce the transaction charges to a much lower value than the ones charged by Visa and Master due to which a major portion of Indian merchants refuse to accept card payments or charge additional service charges. So if you go to a Rupay terminal, international cards are unlikely to be accepted.