Using Starling in Estonia :Estonia:


The currency in Estonia is Euro (comprising 100 cents) and shown by the abbreviation EUR or symbol €. The ¢ symbol is not normally used for cents, so 50¢ would normally be written 0,50€ with a comma for the decimal point and the currency symbol after the amount rather than before.

Some retailers will accept contactless payments but in many you will need to enter your PIN.

Normally for most transactions you will get a standard till receipt but in certain outlets such as dentists and hardware stores you may get a large page that like a guarantee/warranty and receipt combined which they may sign and stamp.

Unlike the UK where small shops and cafés will only take cash for small transactions and have a minimum card spend this does not seem an issue in Estonia. If a retailer accepts cards they tend to take them for any amount, so even if you just getting a coffee and cake you can pop it on your card without difficulty.

Many Estonian banks are owned by or subsidiaries of Finnish or Swedish banks and their machines accept both local and foreign MasterCards and Visa cards.

Some ATMs as well as set amounts and an ‘other’ option will have a button for ‘small change’ which will vend the same amount of cash but with more smaller denomination notes rather than a few higher denomination ones

All ATMs provide the option to select English from a language menu.

In the event that you do use Contactless payment the limit is €25 and any payments above this will require the entry of a PIN.

Very few merchants use offline machines and almost every transaction will be posted to your account immediately.

Only thing of note is merchant name will often be Town name and Shop name or Shop name and Street street name (as they have on their regular receipts) think like Stansted W H Smith rather than W H Smith or W H Smith High Street rather than W H Smith.

Most major taxi firms like Tulika Taxi will take card payments.

For hotel and car rental bookings the payer will normally have to present a national identity card or passport that should match that on their bank card, although a photographic EU format driving license will normally be accepted as ID.

It’s perfectly possible to use your card at every opportunity even in the smallest shops and kiosks, even for something small like a bag of fries (chips).

NOTE: You should always carry ID on you at all times, if driving you are expected to have your Passport or ID, and photographic driving license, and insurance certificate (which car rental company will give you). Local insurance policies also incorporate a Green Card and they will have an EU standard claims form with two columns (one for one driver and one for the other) which both drivers complete in the event of an accident. This way you each have an identical copy of what was reported to the insurance companies. Whereas in the UK you are advised not to make any admission of liability, their local laws require you to do so if you agree you were the cause of the accident. Whereas in the UK calling out the Police is at the discretion of the parties involved, there it is expected to call out Police even to minor damage and Police will check the documentation of both parties and may detain you in custody if insufficient or incorrect documentation is presented.

Updated info
Updated info

Incredibly thorough review of using Starling in Estonia - thanks @MIROW! This is great :estonia: