Reason for £50 minimum when topping-up?

Just wondering what the reason is for having a minimum top-up amount of £50? I know on some of the alternative banking apps, you can top up by a minimum of £10.

I’m guessing there is a specific reason for it? Just curious is all.

So you can use bank transfers I guess. It’s less risky for the banks.

I’m guessing Starling will also have to pay a interchange fee for the “purchase” from the legacy bank/funding card operator.

A user topping up say every £10 could rack up a number of charges. I’m guessing £50 is a sweet spot where the interchange fee from adding the £50 onto the Starling card make it more worthwhile.

The £50 limit is only for debit card top ups, so if you go into your online banking and initiate a faster payments transfer to your starling accounts, you can add as little or as many funds as you want :slight_smile:

Starling aren’t a pre payment card operator like other banking apps currently are so I would have thought they are discouraging users to think about using debit cards to “top up” as your not topping up a pre pay card, your sticking money into your bank account.

If thought another way, take a legacy bank (Santander), you cant use your, for example, NatWest debit card to add funds to your Santander account, but thats not a problem, you just transfer the funds via faster payments, that is the most logical way to do it through Starling aswell.

I appreciate there are other, better suited, ways of transferring money to your Starling account. I also appreciate you don’t transfer money via debit card with legacy banks (Santander et al), but Starling isn’t legacy :slight_smile:

They make this method of transferring money available to the customer, so if they really are trying to discourage people from using this mechanism, then this begs the question… why?

I think as @thom_horne says, there will most likely be interchange fees, so forcing people into larger deposits is more cost effective for them.