Pleased feedback is being acted upon

I’ve just received a message in the app informing me that my card details have been compromised in a retailer’s data breech.

I’m glad to see that the feedback given in a recent thread on this topic has been listened to and implemented. My experience was infinity better than the originator of the previous thread on this topic. It has shifted the responsibility of taking action from the customer to Starling.

My only question is if it is the same breech why am I finding out 9 days later? It may not be the same breech, in which case there is no problem, but since the in app message doesn’t identify the retailer I have no way of knowing.

That’s something they need to work on, it’s good they have got it better in your case, but the fact you are still none the wiser, isn’t an ideal solution. I know from the previous issue that Customer Services can actually tell you the retailer if you ask. They should just tell you that straight away though.

But always good to see some improvement.

Hey @Daesimpso

We received a new notification from MasterCard about a few more potentially compromised cards. As soon as we received the notification we sent out the message in the app (taking the feedback into account regarding the copy in the last message and the way we handled the situation to heart).

I see we could have been a little clearer on the merchant details, but I can confirm that it is related to the Dixons/Carphone Warehouse data breach.

The reason it is a few days later than the others could be due to the merchant you visited having a different acquirer or being under a different operating branch of the compromised company so to speak, this then caused a bit of a delay.

We would just like to reinforce that we send out notifications to anyone impacted as soon as we receive the confirmation from MasterCard.

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to give us a shout

Thanks for your help. I figured it was going to be something like that but wanted to be sure.

@Daesimpso Great to see our feedback is being taken on board and that @LoganAllan is quickly picking up questions, I’m sure it’s still an ongoing topic internally too. What was the advice this time?

A new card has been sent and the old one will continue to work until I activate the new one.

“We regret to inform you that we have received a notification from Mastercard that your card details may have been compromised following a data breach at a retailer you have used previously. Unfortunately at this stage we have not been given further information, however if this comes to light we will be sure to let you know as soon as possible.

We would like to reassure you that we take fraud very seriously here at Starling and in cases where a card might have been compromised, we will ensure your money is safe. As a precaution we have re-issued your card, which should be with you in the next 3/5 working days.

You can still use your current card up until your new one is activated. Please remember to update online shops or services with your new card details when they arrive. We understand this is frustrating and apologise for any inconvenience it may cause.

If you see any transactions on your card that you do not recognise, please do let us know so our teams can investigate this for you promptly.

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

With best regards,

Starling Team”

Much better.

I know some would say it should be more warm and chummy, or more specific, or whatever, but personally i think that is spot on, exactly what i’d want in this situ. Good to see they listened to the concerns.

That is so much better than last time, all they needed to add was the retailer/merchant name and it would be spot on.

Ace! Am glad that feedback has been taken onboard. :slight_smile:

The new message is a LOT clearer and is a massive improvement. (Thanks for posting it @Daesimpso and good work Starling.)

I’ll echo what others have said - much better communication and good to see that you can still use your existing card until your new one arrives.

It’s probably often overlooked but one of the major benefits of these challenger banks is that you can make your voice heard (and they’re obviously listening). I can’t imagine one of the big traditional banks changing their processes so quickly (or at all), or even how I’d give them my feedback!