Pakistani #Fintech Startup Aims to Revolutionise Digital Services for the Unbanked

Another example of what Fintech can do for those that aren’t financially included. Whilst we worry about an app for a watch here people still aren’t able to participate in a market.

95 percent of Pakistanis are unable to get loans as they can’t be ‘profiled’ by conventional means. To combat this CreditFix will use data and predictive modeling to help bridge the gap.

Read more here - https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/pakistani-fintech-startup-aims-to-revolutionize-digital-services-for-the-unbanked/?utm_content=bufferaae1b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

This reminds me of this TED talk about using people’s devices to evaluate credit worthiness and to provide loans to people in emerging markets who don’t have credit scores.

Wow - I really enjoyed that TED talk. This is a very exciting area which must be about to experience a huge revolution now that this data becomes available, especially in areas such as Pakistan or Kenya.

Kenya was.years ahead with mobile payments and it brought a great many people out of
poverty. Hopefully Starling can transform banking and bring those who traditional banks have left behind to the fold.

@Megan_Caywoodd I think made contact with Lesley Ann Vaughn who was part of the team behind M- PESA.

It would be great if, as Starling grows that it ventures out into emerging markets, where traditional branch based banks can’t go due to resources.

Is it because traditional banks can’t go there? Or rather choose not to go there because they won’t be profitable enough?

My assumption is the latter rather than the former.

Businesses exist to make a profit first and foremost. If you never make any money then you will not be around for the long haul.

A report by the world bank last year shows that about two billion worldwide remain unbanked. Sub-Saharan Africa has four times as many people using a mobile money account that the developing world average. 5.4% of those over 15 use a mobile only account and nothing else compared to a 1% global average.

Pakistan If I remember accounts for 5% of the worlds unbanked. A massive 100 million adults do not have access to a banking institution. Most say distance is an issue but fintech can bridge that.