#NoHiddenFigures

I don’t disagree.

Some people are naturally better at negotiating than others. Some end up being paid more to do less, or the same. Some people can’t accept that.

I’m contradicting myself, but I wouldn’t object to my colleagues knowing if I knew they could handle it. But I don’t think they could.

I suspect the finance stuff in schools never really even got off the ground sadly, maybe any parents on the community could fill us in! But it’s really needed I think, as is some good info into college, university, then into your 20s.

I’ve actually over this week been working on an idea based around this with a couple of peeps. When it’s formed a bit more i’ll have to see if @Charlotte_Lorimer or whoever it would be at Starling would get on board as i think there’s so much more that can be done around educating young(er) people on practical finance to sit between the real user case studies Starling are doing for things like business and these bizarrely simplistic idiot guides Monzo are putting out which are aimed at kids with no clue.

There’s a whole swathe of people in the middle who i think could really value some great information and i think Starling could be at the forefront. I actually worked on a whole load of stuff for people in the creative industries around finance education working with Dave Stewart’s First Artist Bank but FAB’s taken longer to launch than N26 in the UK and Starling Post Office deposits so it sits forever on the backburner annoyingly. Hmmm…

FAB looks interesting. Genuine question, why do the current banking offerings not fit creatives? The name is a little cringey but the idea sounds good.

It’s an exclusive bank for Thunderbirds only!

What did “FAB” signify when spoken?

I’m 99% sure Gerry Anderson was the founding father of First Artist Bank - But I cant be sure…

I actually have no idea, I don’t believe anyone ever found out… Or, it meant absolutely nothing.

As a millennial my experience is our generation is more open about everything, maybe a bit too much! I’ve had a few incidents where someone from the older generation has told off someone younger because of the way they speak about things. We’re all brought up to behave a certain way, it’s hard to shake that off.

The Thunderbirds’ radio code “F-A-B”, meaning “message received and understood” could have stood for Fully Acknowledged Broadcast, but in reality it was just supposed to sound “hip”. In fact, when asked numerous times what it stood for, Gerry Anderson once replied, with bemusement, “Fab,” as though it were obvious.

The thing with creatives is that we’re almost always horrific credit risks to standard banks because no one ever gets a regular salary. Just as one example you could average £40k a year, but the only bit a bank would consider is the bar job you did when from Jan-Apr which gave you a regular salary. The rest of that £40k that you earned on TV shows, theatre, adverts whatever, they often would just ignore even though you earned it.

My other half is actually one of those pesky online influencers, which pays a significant monthly sum from sponsorships and ad rev, and is only one of many revenue streams she has, but literally no one would count it because its not considered a salary. Say you work in the creative industries and everything from insurance to finance instantly becomes far more expensive because you’re considered to be in a risky profession, whatever job you actually do, and however much money you actually have.

The other part of First Artist Bank was around project funding. The way things are going people are not wanting to go to a record label and hand over the rights to their music (just using music as an example) for the rest of their life, make no money themselves, and still owe the label for years, just to be able to record some songs.

That either means getting angel investors to cover the costs of producing an album, going to a media financier; someone like Ingenious Group who i work with a lot, who may help but generally deal with financing things like Avatar and Star Wars so are less likely to do smaller deals, or trying to go to a high street bank and saying “i would like to make music, please give me £200k.” and being laughed out by some bank manager with no clue. So the idea was to make funding easier for artists to obtain, where things can be assessed properly by people who know what they’re looking for.

Part of it was that it was meant to work in tandem with Dave and Paul Allen’s other networks and ventures, for example the first branches (Yes, it was meant to have branches, but not in a legacy bank sense) were meant to be in The Hospital Club, their members clubs in London and LA, the idea being that you could work together to create, be it music, film or whatever, in the club, then work with FAB to fund the project you’re working on, removing the need to have to spend months/years trying to secure external funding.

Sorry @Ad13, a bit of an essay!

Any better @Graham :joy: It’s where to put the breaks that’s the issue!

Chop it up into smaller chunks and I’ll be all over it. I’m turning blue holding my breath :flushed:

Dave will tell you that he’s a huge Thunderbirds fan… as long as you’re not in earshot of ITV Studios who may want royalties… :wink::joy:

Superbly done - reads like Shakespeare now :grinning:

Same; everything I know about day to day managing of finances, paying bills and such was either taught to me by my parents or simply learnt as I went on.

Some of the stuff I learnt at school I’ve never needed and most likely won’t ever need to know. I think there’s a massive gap for learning about money, finances and just the mundane day to day life skills which school should be there to help teach.

I’d have never even considered the details here. Cheers for sharing.

I would love it to tell me off when I book Business class on a domestic flight in the UK (which I did yesterday)!

Great discussion here over the weekend, and that’s exactly what we wanted our campaign to do!

One question we were wondering about in the office is… has Spending Insights on the Starling app changed the way you spend? If so, how? We’d be interested to know if you are comfortable sharing! :money_with_wings:

Well, no, because I do all meaningful spending on a Credit Card which gets paid off in full each month. :yum: Starling, and others, need to incorporate Credit Card spending or launch a Credit Card product for it to be useful to me, and many others I suspect.

Thanks so much for your post. Do send over your thoughts - would love to hear more!

I think it’s helpful for the people who previously could only “guess” where they spent their money - Often that guess is significantly lower than their actual spend (generalising).

I personally wouldn’t share the specific amounts of where I spend my money, because it brings with it a whole new level of conversation that would need to happen (and it would potentially form judgements which may not be entirely accurate).

Example:

I tell a friend that we spend around £2,000 per month on Amazon (every month - figures made up BTW…).

That £2,000 is “likely” to be taken as me spending on unnecessary items or luxuries (which is the gist of what people think, if we do have a similar conversation).

The reality is, I may buy food, clothes, and literally everything we would need for the house, from Amazon, and we don’t shop anywhere else (you can replace Amazon with any major supermarket as well).

So I find analysis like this useful for family conversations, but not for sharing with others.

As @admdly has already said, I also use an AMEX extensively for day to day spend (for those sweet sweet reward points), and they have a very basic “insights” part of their website if I need to see where money is going.

How about day to day spending. It’s certainly encouraged me to spend less on lunch each day! :see_no_evil: