New features to bring you better banking

Find out more about new features plus a few that you may have missed in previous updates to our mobile-only bank accounts.

Read the original blog post: https://www.starlingbank.com/blog/new-features-bring-better-banking/

I was just about to suggest that you included more of an introduction to the blog post to make it a bit more engaging rather than just a link but you beat me to it and edited it.

Nice post, great for anyone new to see so they don’t just think it’s a travel card.

You may also want to open questions up to the community for feedback and spend some time answering any initial questions to generate more engagement. Just a thought. :grinning:

Edit: you’re missing ‘short’ before ‘term loans’

Good blog post. It’s raised a few questions…

1. Under “Pay”, it says: “With Starling, you can pay anyone using your unique passcode from the app.” What is meant by that?

2. Under “Home”, it states that the Pulse shows you your daily incoming and outgoing payments - is that correct? I’ve never noticed income being included on the Pulse.

3. Under “Card”, it says if you’ve misplaced your card you can lock it for withdrawals, online and in-store purchases but leave it unlocked for mobile wallet payments, e.g. Google Pay. If someone found my card, would they be able to add it to their mobile wallet and then spend using Apple/Google Pay?

Cheers,
Dan

@danmullen Just tested this with my monzo account, it only shows outgoing.

Has it changed from a password? Hope so. Would prefer fingerprint authentication though.

Coin jar? :grinning: One of the most requested…

I thought that was the case!

Thanks for the questions @danmullen.

1. Agree this sentence isn’t quite clear. Updating the blog as we speak :slight_smile:

2. This refers to the feed, not the pulse. If you look at the top level for each day in your transaction list, it shows you the net amount you’ve spent that day (i.e. incomings minus outgoings)

3. Google/Apple perform checks when any card is added to their wallets, and as part of this they will send an SMS with a verification code. This SMS is sent to the phone number associated to the bank account (i.e. the one Starling has on file for you), so you would get the SMS and the fraudster/thief would not be able to proceed adding the card. This being said, if you know your card is lost/stolen you should definitely cancel the card and order a new one. This new card can immediately be provisioned to your wallet, so you can start using it.

Hope this answers your questions Dan!

Thanks @kjersti.larsen :slight_smile:

With regards number 2, re-reading the blog I get it. What’s slightly confusing is that it’s under the heading “Home”.

As far as Google Pay goes, I don’t think I’ve ever received an SMS when adding a card. That said, depending on the bank involved, I’ve occasionally had to ring an automated telephone line. I definitely think some were verified automatically though.

I’ve notice that this includes transfers from and to goals. I have an example of £6.50 for a train ticket and then Ive moved £6.50 from my “transport” goals. Feed says I’ve spent £0.00. Which I don’t think is correct? Ive reallocated money but £6.50 was spent. Thoughts?

I definitely see your point. As moving the money into savings would have counted as “outgoing” at an earlier point, the overall numbers would still be correct though. I suppose it’s point of personal preference, and whether you consider the money you’ve moved from goals to offset spending that day.

For me personally, I’m usually moving money back from goals to cover a specific purchase, so to me it makes perfect sense that the daily “summary” is the net transactions for my spending balance rather than my account as a whole. Food for thought though!

The daily summary as a net value is good but it would be really useful to see the end of day balence next to it.

Transfers to and from goals are internal transfers, its not incoming or outgoings of my account.

How about if you could pay directly from the goal and avoid that manual step :wink:

Personally I don’t see moving money from goals to main and main to goals as income or outgoings, the money is still just moving about the account.

For example if you move your bill money to a goal, then move money from that goal to main, the bill comes out. It shows as the money being spent because of the bill going out, but it actually shows as £0 in totals because you put that money in from a goal then it went out. Not really an accurate account of what is happening with your money.

aggregators usually call those simply transfers and ignore them from any calculation

New welcome screen? @kjersti.larsen?

It used to be an ugly enter your password or pin screen

Makes sense now, I thought they meant the green button! :joy:

I don’t mind the button, but I really miss the swipe up :frowning: