I just want to share a ‘light bulb’ moment with you all.
Myself and my husband have been personal account holders with Starling for about 6 months now, using the accounts for our own spending whilst keeping our joint account with Lloyds. Over the last month we decided to move our joint account to First Direct as we’d heard some good things about them. Wish we didn’t bother. Complete disappointed.
- Took them over three weeks to open the joint account.
- Way too much paperwork. I thought this was a direct bank? It was ridiculous the mail they sent.
- Their security is beyond tedious. I had about ten memorable password/names etc. Too much.
- You call them and they go on and on… Way too much talking.
- Once the joint account was opened we wanted to open up two joint savings accounts. Did this over the phone but for whatever reason they first had to be opened as a sole account first. Told a simple form would be sent out to sign. Once signed the sole saving accounts would be linked to become joint savings accounts. Received forms and they wanted certified documents. But we were already customers? What the…
Called them to explain the obsurdity of it. We were already customers. Why do you need certified documents? And was fobbed off with a ‘thats how it is…’ Well I’m not going to my GP to get a form certified when I’m already a customer.
No idea how this bank gets the recommendations it does and well I don’t really want to chat on the phone with someone from Leeds for an hour…(as nice as they are)… It’s all too old fashioned.
Long and short. We opened our Starting apps and signed up for a joint account. Already open. We’ve got our joint savings (goals)… too. All in 30 seconds!
First Direct really hasn’t moved beyond 1985! I’m looking forward to banking with Starling in 2018!