Mobile-only banking is the future – and this is why

Spotify changed the way we listen to music. Deliveroo and Just Eat transformed how we eat in. Uber simplified getting from A to B.

It’s pretty clear that the apps and brands that really win hearts and minds are those that revolutionise something we do every day. The formula, it seems, is simple: take something essential that should be easier – then use technology to make it so.

We decided banking should be easier, too, because until recently, the banking industry hadn’t really undergone the same technological transformations as many other industries, despite being held back by some seriously counterintuitive traditions and antiquated systems. So we built a new kind of bank; one that slots seamlessly into a digital life and puts your finances – quite literally – in the palm of your hand.

And now the tide is starting to turn. It’s clear that more people than ever are starting to embrace the possibilities of mobile-only banking and its potential to transform their relationship with their money. Here’s 9 reasons why…

Read the full blog post : https://www.starlingbank.com/blog/mobile-banking-benefits/

I was explaining to my Father in Law who is ninety one (‘Pops’) the Starling Bank. He was very surprised by the development but after explaining the future of cash and how the Starling Bank can take over by giving instant record of transactions and be carried easily in the pocket. Firstly, he thought it would too difficult to understand as he was ‘too old’.

But after I explained how it worked, could be topped up and money spent – he is quite enthusiastic. He did ask if it was possible to give someone money by tapping phones together NFC – but I didn’t think this could be done and could be done by ‘Settle up’ with Pops saying that would give greater control. Then, in a shop the check-out queried my payment = and I was able to look up the transaction on Starling – see that it hadn’t been paid and paid it! Pops is very impressed indeed – I think we have a convert!!
certainly Starling Bank has become a proud part of my life and I wouldn’t go back.

With the exception maybe of security, none of the reasons in your marketing blog post explain why a mobile-only bank is better. They explain why perhaps using an app your phone is better than visiting a bank branch but nothing about why you need to be exclusively mobile to achieve that benefit.

Consumers are savvy, marketing loses credibility if it’s not honest.

I agree - though them having a branch network, in my experience, leads to cost-cutting elsewhere. For example, I recently signed up for the B Current Account (operated by Clydesdale & Yorkshire Bank) to try it out. I downloaded the app, opened it - and to my surprise, redirected me back to their for sign-up. I don’t know why all the banks that also have branches, even new ones like B, all seem to have sub-par on-boarding experience - especially since Starling and Monzo have set the bar so high on this front.

Here is something from YouTube that convinces me that Starling is the future. Cash is already dead. Apart from the car park in Petersfield I don’t carry cash at all. The video answers Pops questions about how could you buy without money in the pocket. Now, wait! - if all this ‘no-cash’ happens - then you would have to have an instant record 'Bank on the Phone! (Its just like counting your cash as you shop) Now consider as well, not how bad, costly, etc. trad banks are = but of a brand new start! A new way of using money! better control and accountability! Safe and secure! Old ways are falling, failing. I would not carry cash in some area’s.
Even Pops was impressed and may get his pension paid in and get going with Starling Bank .

Tell that to the taxi driver that got me home last night!

I use Google Pay wherever it is accepted and often don’t have any cash on me. That said, I think we’re still some way off from being a cashless society.

Yeah, cash isn’t dead, and while I prefer going cash free I could see good reasons not to wish it.

In the last week I’ve needed cash to pay a window cleaner; for paying at two different restaurants when their card machines went down; taxis (no card machines in our local cabs); school charity donations (and money from the tooth fairy!); money for a busker; and a locker at the leisure centre. Some or all of those might be replaceable with cashless payments but it’s not something I can enforce.

Plus, I’m uncomfortable with any future idea of “mandatory” cashlessness. What about people excluded from the banking system because of their past credit history or because they’re homeless, escaping from domestic violence, etc? I’m lucky that I don’t have to consider any of those things, but there are valid concerns around financial inclusion (https://fca.org.uk/publication/occasional-papers/occasional-paper-17.pdf).

It would be nice to have a web interface though rather than be completely mobile only.

Us middle grounders between the in-branch bankers and the mobile bankers are all about internet banking - just more familiar with a website than a mobile app!

I love being cashless and it really bugs me when I need cash because of all the extra effort and travelling out of my way to get it. I will even actively try to avoid needing cash to the extent that when I went to my local Chinese takeaway and was told by the staff that they didn’t accept cards I left and went to the almost-but-not-quite-local Chinese takeaway that DID take cards!

I wish that more people could somehow get on board with cashlessnessnessness… I would’ve thought some of the advancements in sending money could help your friendly window cleaner. He could send you a text with a link to deposit in his account, or the Bluetooth thing monzo are doing or the card picture thing like you can use to deposit money into Starling… There are many options… Although the cynic in me thinks that maybe many of these cash-only people would like it to stay that way because it makes it easier to pick and choose what to declare at the end of the tax year! :thinking::thinking:

I hate hashtags cos I’m old… But…

#teamcashisdeadoratleastshouldbe! Rolls of the tongue. :yum:

Maybe the HMRC should have a huge TV campaign to encourage people to report any firm that do not take cards and then the HMRC do swoop inspections on their premises and go thru all their books and try and catch out the many cash only traders who do fiddle their taxes.