Jumping out of Starling and into Monzo (for a month)

While Starling offers some brilliant banking features, it can’t be denied that Monzo has released some corkers over the past few months. I’m aware that Starling is ahead of Monzo in terms of the comprehensive current account experience (smoother scheduled payments etc.), but as a pay-as-you-earn, single mingle of the banking sphere, features such as Coin Jar and the all-new summary data are a lot more compelling to me than business and joint accounts.

I’ll be a real geek and post my findings as I go. :nerd_face:

This is what I have so far…

Pros

:white_check_mark: Being able to assign a category at the point of scheduled payment setup.
:white_check_mark: Coin Jar!
:white_check_mark: Able to set custom month (25th - 24th)
:white_check_mark: Able to set budgets
:white_check_mark: Able to exclude transactions from spending analytics
:white_check_mark: IFTTT
:white_check_mark: Search facility is extremely powerful
:white_check_mark: Predicted spending for standing orders, direct debits, and subscriptions.

Cons

:negative_squared_cross_mark: Can’t edit a scheduled payment. Can only delete!
:negative_squared_cross_mark: No pot image customization available
:negative_squared_cross_mark: Can’t set up a new payee unless you are paying them
:negative_squared_cross_mark: Can’t have multiple accounts for one payee
:negative_squared_cross_mark: Can’t natively schedule payments to pots
:negative_squared_cross_mark: No interest on pot balance
:negative_squared_cross_mark: Obscene daily overdraft fees
:negative_squared_cross_mark: Unable to offset debit balance with funds saved in pots before overdraft charges are applied
:negative_squared_cross_mark: Limited spending categories
:negative_squared_cross_mark: Tags (WTF?)

Does anyone have any other pros and cons for Monzo? Sorry if this is a duplicate post, but it’s pretty enlightening to see the major differences between what are meant to be such similar developments.

The management of payees is a pain with Monzo (can’t set up a new payee unless you are paying them, and you can’t have multiple accounts for one payee).

If you are into the analytics of day to day spend, Monzo is looking good.

But for general banking stuff (payees, moving money around etc), it’s hard to beat Starling.

You’re right about payment management; Monzo need to do a big overhaul of this to match or beat Starling! I’ve added your pain points to the list! :smiley:

Can’t schedule payments to pots (natively anyway)

How about earning interest on your Starling balance, the offsetting of a debit balance with what you have saved in Goals before overdraft charges are applied, and the (I think) high daily charge of Monzo’s overdraft?

The cons list is getting bigger :see_no_evil:.

Well, I’ll give it a month anyway…

:white_check_mark: no green button

Just lolled! :joy:

I don’t use either account as my daily spender - So a lot of the “cool” functionality is lost on me.

But I’d say that Monzo is currently in an exciting bubble, with lots of new things happening quickly.

The IFTTT integration would work for scheduled payments to pots - Heck, I even set it up to move £5 into a shopping pot, when I said “Hey siri, remind me to get milk” - Or whatever shopping item you require.

The only downside is, you can’t change the amount in that example there!

Monzo wins for “cool features” - Starling wins for general banking functionality (at the moment).

Most points have been covered already, but I would add the below to pro’s for Monzo.

:white_check_mark: Search facility on Monzo is extremely powerful versus the current iteration on Starling.
:white_check_mark: Predicted spending for standing orders, direct debits and subscriptions.
:white_check_mark: Ability to exclude transactions from spending/summary.

This is a really useful summary @LauraJ. I’ll be interested to see what you think after a few weeks of using Monzo.

Weirdly, I saw an announcement regarding that but it doesn’t seem to have happened. Or it’s not easily discoverable.

Is this really a big deal? It would be nice and the reasoning isn’t great but it’s not something I’ll get upset about.

Not something I’d considered, how often do you setup a payee though when you’re not paying them? I can’t think of a time I’ve done that.

You can, it’s just not very friendly. I’ve got myself in there twice for different accounts. Unless they’ve changed something?

Who cares? IFTTT Baby! (Which is one of your positives)

That’s been mentioned as coming. Soon?

OK, they’re high compared to Starling, but they’re clear. I think that is more important.

I get the love for this, but I think it’s a bad idea. I saw it notioned over at the Monzo forums that this encouraged Overdraft usage. I’ve got to agree.

Hi @NewUser

I think countering a negative with “coming soon”, isn’t helpful - Starling could put out a document of 1,000 features coming in the next 10 years which would make it the best bank to have ever lived… Doesn’t help the here and now though.

As for some of the other points…

Yes. 1. It’s unnecessary (as we can chose any profile picture). 2. I like my personalised goal photos in Starling - It’s a nice touch.

:negative_squared_cross_mark: Can’t set up a new payee unless you are paying them
Not something I’d considered, how often do you setup a payee though when you’re not paying them? I can’t think of a time I’ve done that.

I have regular payees on Starling - I’d quite like to sit down and get them all set up on Monzo as well - I can’t do that right now.

It’s all opinion, and @LauraJ will come to her own conclusion about what she likes/doesn’t like.

Some might like the UI of one or the other, even if the functionality isn’t the same. It’s a matter of personal taste.

Lastly…

You need to stop drinking the Monzo juice… It’s blurring your judgement :wink:

Hey @NewUser :smiley:

I have to disagree. Lower fees are more important! If you require an overdraft, I’m assuming you may be struggling financially. A higher fee does not help.

Soon is not now :grin:

If you’re in there twice then that’s two payees, not one.

Well, I’m not crying about it, but it’s something I appreciate in Starling and something I miss now that I’m using Monzo.

Do we need another Starling vs Monzo thread? :innocent:

This is more my personal experience of using Monzo for a month. It is simply pros and cons.

Well I hope it stays that way, NewUser has already started to ‘defend’ your cons which is normally where all of these types of discussions end up :man_shrugging:t3:

I can’t believe they do this. I hope someone complains to the regulator as this seems completely wrong. :-1:

Yes, it is totally IMMORAL, as they are not separate accounts but part of the account and so should be included in any calculation of fees. An example of corporate con tricks to increase their revenue! Talk the talk on helping people manage finances but not walk the walk when they try too :rofl::angry:

You can’t talk about it on the Monzo forum though.

It’s verboten and Tom will give a wish washy reply about it being a “design decision”.