iOS: "Swipe to go back" not implemented

I am adding this as a bug report as it’s one of those things that should probably be working since most iOS apps support it, not really a new feature.

iOS: Implement "Swipe to Go Back" gesture in more screens
iOS edge swipe gesture

This would be good to see. I keep trying to swipe back and it’s a tiny bit annoying. :slight_smile:

I use the edge swipe gesture (to go back) on my iPhone all the time, as it’s really useful when using it one-handed.

It’d be great if this was added into the Starling app, as I think it makes navigation flow much more easily.

For some reason, my brain refuses to learn that it’s not possible, so I keep accidentally trying to do it :slightly_smiling_face:

Great idea.

I keep trying to turn the pulse like it’s a dial.

If any devs are reading it could be a useful feature to cycle through days/categories etc

I think this will be a great idea too.

Noted - thanks!

oh please god make this a top priority (it’s hardly a sexy announcement on the release notes but,) it’s annoying—specially on the iPhone X now—to try and hit the back arrow aaaaalllllll the way up, and I always end up either missing it and it goes into map view for whatever transaction detail I was looking at, or I just have to fumble my phone in my hand so I get a good accurate shot at it.

Either way, far from ideal, and—I’m guessing—super easy to implement and just get it deployed on the next update.

Please oh please, I know it’s hardly a showstopper but christ is it annoying.

Thanks in advance!

Frustration surely noted. I’ve asked @JamesPratley to get an update on this problem which was raised in the original post but got sidetracked in the thread, it seems.
@DanielWebb

Awesome stuff. I don’t know exactly how easy it is to implement, but being a standard iOS gesture, I have to guess it’ll be pretty easy and be a quick win for everyone.

Cheers

Thanks @Biansta - we know this is an issue and it’s on our list, but we’re not currently working on this. I’ve let our iOS team know about your frustration though! :slight_smile:

Great news - one of our iOS Developers has been working on this and it should find it’s way into the app later this month! :slight_smile:

Excellent!

Well that was quick

We do try :wink:

Slightly confused, did this get implemented?

I came on here to report it missing from most interactions with the iOS app, it seems I always have to tap a “Close” button in the top left for most things, which is nearly impossible with one hand on larger phones.

Just to clarify, here are the primary screens that still don’t support the back swipe gesture and so are hard to exit from when using your device one-handed:

• Add Money
  • Viewing a Goal
  • Viewing a Spending Category
  • Viewing a Merchant History

But it seems that throughout the app the majority of screens have been implemented as modal “slide up” screens with a “Close” button in the top left, instead of as “slide from left” screens with a “Back” button in the top left which will also support the back swipe gesture. This isn’t really how iOS apps are meant to function. The slide up models are meant to be used sparingly, whereas most screens should slide in from the right.

E.g. the following screens all use the “slide up” and “Close” way, when they should really be “slide from left” and “Back”:

• Add Payee
  • Settle Up
  • View Profile
  • Marketplace
  • Invite to Starling
  • Overdraft
  • Card Control
  • Card Security

Take a look at other iOS apps such as those from Revolt and Monzo, they get things right in this regard.

Having to regularly tap a “Close” button in the top left is so annoying on the iPhone X (or Plus sized phones) that this truly is something that is making me hesitate to move to Starling.

There are a number of primary screens that still don’t support the standard back swipe gesture in iOS and so are hard to exit from when using your device one-handed, specifically:

• Add Money
  • Viewing a Goal
  • Viewing a Spending Category
  • Viewing a Merchant History

But it seems that throughout the app the majority of screens have been implemented as modal “slide up” screens with a “Close” button in the top left, instead of as “slide in from left” screens with a “Back” button in the top left which will also support the back swipe gesture. This isn’t really how iOS apps are ideally meant to be designed. The slide up models are meant to be used sparingly, whereas most screens should slide in from the right.

E.g. the following screens all use the “slide up” and “Close” way when they should really be “slide from left” and “Back”:

• Add Payee
  • Settle Up
  • View Profile
  • Marketplace
  • Invite to Starling
  • Overdraft
  • Card Control
  • Card Security

Take a look at other iOS apps such as those from Revolt and Monzo, they get things right in this regard.

Having to regularly try and tap a “Close” button in the top left is so annoying on the iPhone X (or Plus sized phones) that this truly is something that is making me hesitate to move to Starling.

I previously posted this as a reply to another post, but as that post is marked as “Solved” I don’t believe it’s getting the attention deserved. So I apologise for re-posting.

Completely agree. Need more consistency!

Agreed, especially on iPhone X. It’s inconsistent and doesn’t give a great user experience — counter-intuitive.

Is it possible to have this post reverted to “Unsolved” as it’s clearly not completely resolved yet. I did create a new post so this would be clear, but I see it has just been merged into this “solved” post, which is misleading.