International Payments outside the EU

Hi Starling Folks!

I appreciate that we are new, and growing. One major feature which I would love to see - without having to use third parties like Azimo, would be the ability to send remittance to international bank accounts outside of the EU.

Is there anything in the roadmap for this feature?

They do send outside the Eurozone to:
Denmark
Bulgaria
Czech Republic
Hungary
China’s SAR of Hong Kong
Mexico
New Zealand
Qatar
Romania
Norway
Singapore
Saudi Arabia
Republic of South Africa
Switzerland
Sweden
Turkey
Thailand
and the UAE

Though other countries will be added in due course it is good to see there are already 9 in Asia, Australasia, Africa, and Southern America, so it is not just Europe.

Negotiating with local partners takes some time, but I am sure we will see further additions in the months to come.

Pretty sure some of these are in EU :smiley:

They might not be using Euro :euro: but still in EU

I believe their plan still is to pass that on to third parties using the marketplace. last year it was reported they had a partnership with TransferWise but it seems to have died out.

currently you can do what they call “foreign” transfers directly from the app to an small set of country/currency via SWIFT or a so called local partner

1. BG/BGN
  2. CZ/CZK
  3. DK/DKK
  4. EU/EUR
  5. HK/HKD NON-EU
  6. HU/HUF
  7. MX/MXN NON-EU
  8. NZ/NZD NON-EU
  9. NO/NOK
  10. QA/QAR NON-EU
  11. RO/RON
  12. SA/SAR NON-EU
  13. SG/SGD NON-EU
  14. ZA/ZAR NON-EU
  15. SE/SEK
  16. CH/CHF
  17. TH/THB NON-EU
  18. TR/TRK NON-EU!
  19. AE/AED NON-EU

the most surprising for me is the absence of USD and AUD. but as I mentioned above their plan was (is?) to leave this to third parties

Ok, I’m being dim then, because I can only add a payee with a UK Bank account.

How would I send a payment to one of these countries?

@rxfleming Are you on iOS by any chance?

Hi! Yes I am.

I thought so! The guys commenting above are correct about what is available on Android at the moment.
We unfortunately haven’t been able to release international payments on iOS yet. There is a (very short) thread about that here.

We are committed to delivering international payments on iOS too, but unfortunately it’s taking a bit longer than anticipated. Thanks for your patience :slight_smile:

@kjersti.larsen - thank you - I knew I wasn’t going mad!

sorry, you are mad for choosing Apple products anyway :wink:

While they are outside the Eurozone, some are in the EU but some of the other European countries are EEA member states and others are not EU but applicant countries.

In my opinion good currencies to add for both personal and business accounts would be AUD,CND,CHF,USD, and potentially in the long run the Chinese and Russian currencies for business accounts

Norway and Switzerland are also NON-EU

@MIROW I didn’t mark them as EU either :wink: … I understand OP meant Europe and not European Union when using those two letters

I’m surprised Zloty isn’t on there given the number of Poles in the UK. It’s a good selling angle no?

By not marking them as NON-EU you are effectively saying they are EU, so I was just clarifying they are not.

Agree! Polish currency would be a good addition.

@rxfleming Just a quick follow-up to tell you this is now live! Look forward to your feedback!

Hi there,
I’m Co-founder at Avaza, one of the most powerful Project Management software platforms.
We’d like to consider doing some business banking with Starling Bank… but found there’s no way to pay suppliers in Pakistan.
When will you add support for making payments to Pakistan?
Thanks
Tim

Welcome to the community

Hi there @TiK, I’ve asked our Product team about this. I’m told that we’re looking to add currencies regularly, but we don’t have any timeframe that we can share for sending money to Pakistan at the moment.

USD would be massively useful for me. I have family in the States and we rely on third party services.