Foreign transaction fees

How come the delivery fee and the fee displayed below the transfer amount are different? It’s a bit confusing.

I also have a bit of feedback on terminology used. Foreign IMO should be changed to ‘international’, it’s less negative and clearly states the intention. And in the ‘country list’ there’s one titled European Union (for Euro countries) but the UK is part of the European Union so this should be indicated as Euro not EU as it’s misleading, several other countries in the EU also don’t use Euro.

I was also wondering what the two different fees are.

Incidentally, what’s negative about the word “foreign”?

9 days to Singapore…

Which is why I think ‘international’ works better

I disagree. You buy and sell foreign currency at a foreign exchange bureau not buy international currency!

foreign currency but international payments :wink:

there was a survey here before launching the functionality and international won, but it ended up been too long

I think foreign currency works fine, even with the ‘strange unfamiliar’ definition as the currency can be, but for payments international payments which is what it is works best I think.

International payments is too long to put on any tab. FX is a nice short abbreviation to use.

Wasn’t even the primary common meaning but a secondary meaning, hence the 2 at the beginning!

1 of, from, in, or characteristic of a country or language other than one’s own.
“foreign currency”

Overseas>?

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback, it’s really useful as we improve our international payments experience. The fee communicated alongside the rate is the total fee you will pay for sending your payment (in this case £100 to SGD). This means it is the delivery fee + Starlings fee.

You can find more information about this on our website here.. We have recently added a comparison table and a fees table here and will soon be adding an interactive conversion tool too to our site.

This is how your payment and fees is calculated:

1. You choose an amount of GBP to be converted (“Source Amount”).
  2. You choose a delivery option (e.g. SWIFT (priority) or Local Partner (SEPA and local partners))
  3. The delivery payment fee is deducted from the Source Amount
  4. Starling’s fee is then deducted (calculated on the Source Amount less the delivery fee), and the remaining net amount is converted (“Conversion Amount”)
  5. FX rate applied to the Conversion Amount to calculate the “Target Amount”

Example:

1. Source Amount = GBP 100
  2. Delivery option (“Local Partner”) = GBP 0.90
  3. GBP 100 - 0.90 = GBP 99.10
  4. Starling Fee = GBP 99.10 / 1.004 = 98.71 (GBP 0.39 fee). The Total fee is £1.29.
    => Conversion Amount = 99.10 - 0.39 = 98.71
  5. GBP 98.71 x 1.7987 = SGD 177.549 round up to 177.55 (Target Amount)

[NB this example assumes the Starling fee is 0.40%]

We hope to add a clearer explanation of this to the app soon.

Sarah

I win :wink: aha. Not foreign payments then :joy:

Thanks for the explanation @sarah.guha. Could you please provide a bit more information about using the “local partner” option? Much cheaper than SWIFT but still only 1 day for the funds to be delivered.

@TTTJJ it’s neither foreign payment nor international currency. It’s international payments and foreign currency :wink:

That makes complete sense - it should be international payments and when Starling offers foreign currency it should be called this

if anything it should be transfers not payments…SEPA payments are actually SEPA credit transfers

While it could be payment of a bill or invoice in many cases it is just transfers between friends or family or indeed even to one’s own account in another tax jurisdiction (maybe due to a holiday home or timeshare), transfers seems to cover all scenarios

I prefer the use of the name international payments if possible. Transfers I see as transferring funds between accounts on the same bank if you have more than one. I do think when sending international payments having the fees explained and shown cleary is vital.