Feature suggestion: Direct Debit “ring-fencing”

Hi all!

I’ve been a starling user for about a week now and have to say that so far I’m very impressed, keep up the good work!

And to make sure you have plenty of it here’s a feature suggestion that’s been lurking in my mind for a while now but I didn’t really have a forum to raise it with Barclays.

This is really just another way of thinking about spending goals but picture this…

I get paid monthly on a set day, let’s say 15th. I have various direct debits that go out much later in the month, a big fat mortgage payment being one of them on about 1st of the following month.

Clearly don’t want to spend the money required for this and so it is essentially spoken for the second I get my monthly salary. Therefore right from the moment I get paid my balance is actually:

balance = (salary - direct debits)

Between payday and the moment the various debits go out I always want a clear picture of how much disposable income I have left that month. The way I have been dealing with this with Barclays was to actually have a distinct account with standing orders configured to transfer the funds from my current account to this secondary account immediately after payday. However, because this secondary account isn’t a “current” account I am unable to have standing orders setup to transfer the funds back again just in time to meet the direct debit. I have to do this part manually which is a royal pain.

What I would like is a feature that shows me my current balance minus known obligations without me having to manually shuffle anything around. Furthermore, this would ideally be determined automatically from known direct debits that go out each month although I would be happy with some manual configuration.

I don’t know if I’ve explained that very well but let me know what you think.

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Forecasting Spending/ Smart Balance / Safe to Spend