Do Starling allow Apple Pay payments above £30?

I know I can likely check by trying but as I’m here (and to throw it into the forum for future searches) so:
Do Starling Bank’s cards (Apple Pay and I guess Android Pay?) allow more than £30 (where the till supports this)?

I thought it was Apple Pay them selves that controlled this limit but when I tried to purchase my last Apple Watch (on apple’s Apple Store app) with Apple Pay on my Halifax it got blocked but my mate on another bank (can’t remember which one) could do it without issue and Apple said it was the bank that limited it (again thanks dino bank!)

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/uk-contactless-payments-limit-raised

Just asked the team about this one (because I’m on Android :see_no_evil:)… Yes! We do support this. :grin:

Thank you for the quick reply @JamesPratley! This is going to stop my using my wallet almost entirely now! I suspect my use of Tesco Clubcard and Sainsbury’s Nectar cards may suffer! Well I guess if they don’t keep up they die! :wink:

Tesco have a digital clubcard app I use it all the time and has electronic copies of vouchers and coupons in it

Just a warning though - you’ll get a notification first time round explaining that the payment has failed because it’s over the contactless limit, but it will then explain how to take off the limit for next time. Hope that’s clear? :slight_smile:

So there is a process to remove the Apple Pay contactless limit (up to £500)? Also, any plans to increase the limit. Given it’s secured just as much, if not more, than some chip & pin cards it doesn’t make much sense to limit it further than any normal chip & pin transaction.

I’ve used Apple Pay with Starling to pay for stuff with no problems and no warnings and didn’t need to do anything to take any limit off.

I spent around £37 last week at the supermarket and used Apple Pay.

The only slightly weird thing is that in the Starling statement it has it listed as a ‘Contactless’ payment rather than an ApplePay one.

Are you saying that I cannot use Apple Pay on say, the Apple Store app to buy a new iPhone with my Starling card if it is more than £500 ? Last year I used Apple Pay with my Lloyds card to buy a £2000 MacBook.

My question as well @KenTheakstone. @JamesPratley can you tell me what the reason is for the limit?
Is there a plan to allow more? As it’s more secure than chip and pin and a HELL of a lot more secure than mag strip and signature both of which don’t (as far as I know/have experienced) have any limits bar your balance.

My[quote=“GazB, post:9, topic:1171”]
Is there a plan to allow more? As it’s more secure than chip and pin and a HELL of a lot more secure than mag strip and signature both of which don’t (as far as I know/have experienced) have any limits bar your balance.
[/quote]

I agree, it seems very restrictive. If the money is in the account we should be able to spend it as we wish. My money, my choice.

Hopefully the limit will be lifted. £500 seems rather low.

I’ll let the team know that you’d like to increase/remove the limit. :slight_smile:

Preferably remove it altogether.

As with other limits being discussed for various things (cash withdrawals etc.) could this be made configurable within the app as everyone has different expectations and requirements?

I’ll put this suggestion forward to the team! :slight_smile:

The whole point of Apple Pay is that it removes contactless limits. The variation is contactless is limited to £30 and Apple Pay should be limitless. Whilst I appreciate that retailers put some limits on sales via ApplePay almost like a floor limit these shouldn’t be imposed by the banks by doing so banks are limiting how you spend and access your cash.

Do Starling have a maximum you can spend via chip and pin?

Totally agree. Out of the three, chip and pin, contactless, Apple Pay, Apple Pay is the most secure because you do need a fingerprint.

@JamesPratley Better we have the ability to take those actions prior to having a declined transaction

Be nice to have the limit removed before Apple launch the new iPhone otherwise its back to using the card rather than Apple Pay.

Is there any limits on how much we can spend online before any security checks or before its declined?

I can confirm again that there was no decline the first time I used the £30+ transaction on Apple Pay (even if it was just a £35 transaction! :wink: )