Different cards for business and personal accounts

One thing that I get unreasonably annoyed about is business and personal debit cards from the same bank looking the same, the number of times I used to get my Santander business debit instead of personal debit out because at a glance they look the same just peeved me off far more than it should!

On that note, could the upcoming Starling Business Debit card please be a suitably different design to the personal one. Preferably a different colour so it is obvious which one I am about to get out of my wallet.

I know it seems petty but it would mean a lot to me as a user who will probably end up with both accounts :laughing:

I used to have that problem, till I got a personalised Barclays debit card, but yes until then I used to often get the two confused.

I reckon the business cards will be different to the personal account - I guess we will find out :slight_smile:

Yeah, I assume they will be too, I just hope they are different enough!

Like I said it was a real bugbear that Santander business and personal debit cards are the same except for business in small text on the business cards, that isn’t different enough! :laughing:

Or a card that functions the same way as Curve does

To be honest, I don’t want starling to create a card the has features like Curve, Starling is my bank, it’s not my card manager.

There is a PLACE in the MARKET for products like curve, that’s why it exists, but in the context of my business bank account, that place is firmly in the Starling Marketplace (see what I did there :wink:)

Point taken

I was thinking more on the lines of having to carry various plastic around

I totally get that, and I am a Curve customer myself, find it really useful, but it is a different proposition to a bank account and because it is a card emulator effectively, it can’t function without a parent card or cards to pair to (ie the Starling debit).

BTW no offence was meant on my previous post, I just couldn’t resist as I am rarely quickly enough to make puns like that :laughing:

It was good

But it’s been a long day

Let’s see what Starling pulls out of the bag

Funny you mention Santander being rubbish at this. Back in the early naughties I worked for their predecessor Abbey National. They had a system where every single card type was a different colour. Visa debit was green, ATM cards were yellow and so on. It made things much easier for customer and staff. So I share your frustration. Until recently I used the Co-op Bank having also worked for them and they too had different colours. Then when the rebranded every card went the same shade of blue. Urgh.

Monese use different colours for their GBP and EUR account cards, yet they retain the same patterning over the colour (and obviously have the same logo) so have a common corporate identity

I was actually thinking after you mentioned Curve that there’d be some mileage in being able to transfer a transaction between accounts after it’s made. If you do get the cards mixed up, at least you can check and fix it.

There is a bank in the Netherlands called Bunq. Their solution to this problem is to have one card, but linked to two accounts. Contactless payments bill to the account selected as the default, but pin payments are billed according to the pin that is used.

One card. Two pin numbers.

Anyone received a Starling Business account debit card yet? I’m hoping the difference in design is easily identifiable in my wallet.

+1 for requesting different colour business bank cards so that they are super easy to distinguish in my physical wallet and Apple Wallet. Thanks. :+1:t4:

Agreed, the cards look identical in apple wallet and hence is not an option for me as I cant risk whacking personal stuff on a business account.

The PIN method wouldn’t work in the UK as offline Pin is the primary cardholder verification method (The PIN is actually stored on the chip and you can only have one pin stored).

Outside of France, the UK and Canada, most places uses online PIN (where the PIN is checked during authorisation with the bank). Online PIN has a lot of advantages as it allows remote pin changes, contactless transactions for any amount (as you can just tap and then enter your PIN) and can arguable be seen as more secure (although this is debatable). Offline PIN has the advantage that the PIN can be checked even when there isn’t a live connection to the bank, which makes sense for the French and UK market as both are markets with a fairly high percentage of offline transactions compared to most places in the world. (Why Canada chose offline PIN is a bit of a mystery as all transactions run in real time and Canadian debit cards can’t even work offline). If an online PIN card is used offline, it’ll drop down to signature verification.

I have a Dutch bank card with two PINs and use it in the UK OK with no problems (have used boths PIN over here), for example in my local Co-op supermarket. One PIN on the chip is for the primary account and the second PIN associated with an additional account.

we have that with Starling, depending on the merchant.

I have tapped my contactless card (not inserted it in a reader) for a petrol purchase over £30 and it printed out a receipt for signature rather than asked for a PIN. i have done this a few times now.

@MIROW Most UK terminals do support online PIN but it’s against MasterCard (and Visa rules) to issue a card with online PIN at the top of the card verification method list in the UK.

"An Issuer of a Compliant Chip Card must ensure that the all of the following requirements are met:
● The compliant Chip Card contains a Cardholder Verification Method (CVM) list, with at minimum, the following methods of Cardholder verification:
– “Offline PIN at POS”
– “Online PIN at ATM”
– “Signature”
– “No CVM required”

The CVM “Offline PIN at POS” is activated and is the preferred CVM unless either the:
– Compliant Chip Card was issued no more than 6 months before the date of the Compliant Chip Card Transaction in question
– Cardholder is subject to a disability or impairment that would prevent PIN use" (rule applies to the UK and Canada).

The terminals that let you tap for transactions above £30 and then ask for a signature are not compliant with the rules. Only a signature priority card should allow it (I.e. Obviously it doesn’t matter if a chip and signature card is inserted or tapped above the contactless limit). The only exception is with Amex as some terminals still use the older magstripe based contactless for Amex.