Custom categories

Hi, more categories have been added to the app, if that’s what you are asking :slight_smile:

• Cash
  • Savings
  • Drink
  • Custom (a ? nameable category as an experiment for later use but limited to one custom per person) based on what people use this as over say a six month period might help to highlight commonly desired new categories)

Hi, sorry, I was referring to custom categories. That is the one reason why I am using Monzo instead of Starling on a daily basis: Monzo allows comments to be added (which I am using to create my own categories).
Thanks

+1 for Monzo having the comments function

I agree that Custom Categories would be good. What’s the ETA now please?

In the meantime, Lifestyle’ is too general. Could it be split into:

• Personal Care / Beauty
  • Health / Fitness?

Thanks.

Custom categories would also be incredibly useful. I opened a Starling account on the train back from the AWS Summit in London after being blown away by both what you’ve accomplished and how. Personally, I’d like to identify spending on hobbies and health as categories and I’m sure I’d create a lot more given the facility to. Really hope custom categories are on the roadmap.

I always split large supermarket transactions in Microsoft Money, and were this option available in the Starling app I would use it.

You could split your clothes into shopping, food into groceries, electronics into entertainment, for example, then any budgeting would be more precise.

Agreed. Custom Categories would be great. For instance I’d like to have fuel as a standalone category, not lumped in with Transport. Transport could be broken down into taxi, bus, train, flights etc.
Expenses could be broken down further. Accomodation should be standalone. The list I guess is endless which is why it would be good to be able to customise and have Starling remember. So if you purchase something from somewhere and give it your own category, the app could ask you if you want it to remember and apply the same category next time.

There is no way a pre-defined list of categories would cover my spending patterns e.g. virtual machines, PaaS services, gaming subdivided by game, individual family members subdivided by medical categories. Real life is complicated and messy for me & I am guessing most people. Custom tags or categories is the way to go. These can build on top of the current categories to assist with the data analysis, so I don’t see that as a genuine conflict. As a new member to Starling I am sorely disappointed to see that the pre-existing list of categories is useless to me.

Sorry to hear you’re disappointed with the current experience, but we’re always looking to make things better.

One question I have: If we supported customer categories/tags, then would you expect to add more than one category/tag to a transaction? And if you would, then what would you expect the behaviour to be when adding up the category totals?

The thing I would want to avoid is the sum of all of the category totals being a lot higher than the actual amount spent over the same time period.

I would suggest each transaction can have only one category applied, but multiple tags. Although I’m not convinced of the need for tags.

You can add a note to the transaction that might help remove the need for a tag in addition to a category.

One category, you can use notes or tags if you need to, otherwise its going to get messy with more than one category.

Hi Ben,

Sorry it has taken me a long time to reply. I wanted to think about it and (predictably) lost track of it.

One question I have: If we supported customer categories/tags, then would you expect to add more than one category/tag to a transaction? And if you would, then what would you expect the behaviour to be when adding up the category totals?

The thing I would want to avoid is the sum of all of the category totals being a lot higher than the actual amount spent over the same time period.

That’s a great question and I totally understand where you are coming from. Here’s the approach I would take: tags are filters that you apply to a hierarchical category view. The sum of sub-categories totals is the amount spent in the category, so it makes sense to show the sub-totals in parallel. With tags, you can avoid the impression that they partition the total by applying them as filters to the category.

People might want to be able to track filtered categories: you need to support positive and negative tag-filters for that. And on those reports, always include ‘tags that overlap’.

(You might want the ability to create a category based on a tag. That’s pretty easy: create a new empty category. Then, at the root of the category tree, filter by tag and move all items into the new category. Then throw the tag away.)

Hope this helps,

Steve

I would also agree more categories would be nice, even something like Treats or so for your new phone cover you didn’t need or the new gaming console you wanted.

Also, it would be good to have income and expense categories separate.
It would be great to see how much I spent on Home, without it adding any rent payments into it as well.
i.e.
Expenses:
Home ~ 25.47
Shopping ~ 54.23
Family ~ 38.12

Income:
Income ~ 1234.56
Home ~ 230.00
Family ~ 200.00

or something similar.