Competitor news

Fair enough, was hoping to see something new from the Challenger Banks in that regard. None of them seem to have an answer from what I can see. Thought I’d ask at the one I’m registered with.

@NewUser not sure on the specifics in terms of there being two people on the account but in the app under Account Management > Account Information it states the same as for Personal accounts: “To close your account please contact Customer Service”.

I tried this new feature last night. I am impressed. I still have some older relatives who “live by the chequebook, die by the chequebook” at Birthdays and Christmases and the ability to pay in cheques is now the only reason why I’m holding onto keeping my Lloyds account open. If Starling were to introduce this feature then it would be ‘bye bye, legacy bank’ once and for all. Please, Starling? Pretty please? I don’t ask for much. I didn’t badger you much for Joint Accounts, I only asked once for Junior Accounts. Please? [quote=“thefifthrace, post:1029, topic:1089, full:true”]
I noticed this update was released by Lloyds today

I personally think that cheques really should be consigned to the history books but I also know a lot of people who could switch to Starling if this was possible in the app
[/quote]

I’ve been banking cheques in app for over a year with Barclays, so quick and efficient.

They should.

Interestingly the cheques I mainly get (and have one to bank today) is from other banks!!

Just shutting down my late fathers bank accounts and every single bank will only issue a cheque or electronic transfer, but electronic only if you bank with them!

It did make me think about Starling/mobile only banks - what happens if I die? No one could get into my phone and unless you’ve told someone about all your bank accounts people wouldn’t know you had the account, how could they?

I would love this feature, I’ve spent many lunch breaks driving to a bank to pay a cheque in or, since joining Starling, buying stamps and envelopes. Annoying!

Monzo now actually moving into paid research like the big boys.

13-15-32-56

It is not just Monzo, Monese have also been doing paid research recently.

do you know if they applied for bank licence?

No I do not know

What about Revolut?

Again not sure but I wonder if they will follow in the wake of TransferWise and become a full member of FPS?

Monese doesn’t want to apply for a Banking Licence as it doesn’t need one to offer what it does, its CEO made a statement about that at the end of 2017.

Revolut should have its European Banking licence shortly.

Just in time for Brexit.

We just need confirmation from both people that the account is to be closed. The account is then closed the next working day

A rather killer feature arrived in my legacy bank app today. It’s the ablility to pay in cheques up to £500 via the app and the phone’s camera. Works a treat by the way as I had a cheque that had been waiting for me to get around to going to pay it in. Looks like Starling will be in for some serious app competition as I expect this to be the tip of the iceberg as several months ago the app was re-engineered for forthcoming new features. Is paying in via the app on the Starling Roadmap? Probably needs to be…

yeah i’ve had this feature on my Halifax and this week on Lloyds apps. I’ve not used it but certainly seems handy - though i’m not overly excited by it given i rarely ever receive cheques - coul dbe useful for small businesses however.

Hi @mbaguley,

There has been a load of discussion on this already - If you search for it, a few hundred posts should come up.

There is also the “competitor news” thread which has a little detail in, and a few other threads which talk about this.

I’ve been in the Barclays trial for this for quite a while.

It works excellently except when the other bank doesn’t support it yet and it won’t accept the cheque :frowning: I had a refund from VM and I think their bank was RBS which didn’t support imaging yet so it wouldn’t take it.