Cash Withdrawals & Deposits at the Post Office

Next couple of weeks you’ll have a Q&A? Next couple of weeks is the end of July, so what you’re saying is you’re not going to have it up and running by the end of July are you? Can you just be straight with us please rather than all this constant ‘ooh lots of exciting things coming up’ marketing nonsense? You’re a bank, you’re not releasing a film. You’re a bank that I need to pay cash into quickly and easily and at the moment you’re failing miserably at this task. No post office facility by the end of July and it’s bye bye from me because I’m sick of this delay. Near enough every other bank has this facility, really don’t understand the difficulty you’re having. I can pay into a pre paid mastercard at a post office but I can’t pay into my bank account? It’s absolutely ridiculous.

@slofe I think you have to accept like I have, that this is in reality right now a Beta product and upgrades aren’t moving at much of a speed. Looking at the OS releases since the original there seems to be actually very little new. Lots of fixes of bugs and the odd enhancement.

It really has potential but to me if Starling aren’t careful they will be behind the curve before we know it. You can have all the fancy IT, best App etc in the world, but ultimately if you can’t do the basic of money in, money out and access your account you are destined to fail.

I really hope I’m wrong as it has such great potential, but I can honestly see Starling not being here in 5 years time (in it’s current guise anyway).

Yes that’s my point exactly. I think the app is great and it’s really useful to keep track of spending in real time, particularly with contactless coming out straight away but beyond that I’m not all that fussed about the design of a card, any fancy packaging it comes in or the graphics of the app I just want the basic function of paying money in, like any other bank and if they can’t do that then they’re the equivalent of a phone with lots of great apps on but is unable to make any calls.

Don’t disagree @Slofe it all depends what you want (or need) right now. For me it’s a long way away from being my only or main account as it’s just not up to speed yet, this month at First Direct i’ve;

Paid cash in 3 times and paid in 4 cheques (at different times), walk in HSBC, card in Machine and within a minute all done and back out again. Had I only had Starling, would have been queue at the Natwest counter assuming the branch were up to speed! And not instant in.

I think the delay is probably due to having an external source to deal with. I.e the post office I suspect negotiations will need to take place. I think where Starling are letting themselves down (again) is the communication to us the customers. Its lacking and understandably people get sick of coming soon with no real positive information. Now you could say thats true of most businesses but as starling are Trying to set themselves up as the new thing, perhaps regular proper updates on major things like this should be the new thing.

The Post Office have procedures in place that can be slow, however they want to be used, so they actually try and push through partnerships quickly, it gives them the push to remain open.

Another bank managed to get Post Office set up within 3 months of them launching current accounts. So it’s not always down to one particular party, there could be lots of reasons for the delay.

Starling have committed to Post Office use so it’s just a matter of time, it keeps being pushed back, but there can’t be much more to solve.

To be fair…that does make it sound like mobile only banking is not for you…

It’s not normally like that for cheques, I’d say an average year is 3-4, it’s only i’ve been shutting down my late fathers accounts all of whom will only close by cheque.

Cash on average though is a couple of times a month.

I’d have thought though paying in and out is a fairly useable/used process with any banking! Cheque imaging will help, although probably not in this instance as the cheques were of a fair size and most seem to have a relatively small limit.

To be fair, I do agree with you tho.

Even I sometimes get cash and have to put it in my partner’s bank and transfer it over :slight_smile:

Starling is the future. What is this cash you speak of? :joy:

If I ever get cash I just spend it.

I agree. I can’t see the point of depositing cash only to then perhaps withdraw cash a few days later from an ATM, or to pay in the cash and then use the card when you could have just used up the cash and saved yourself a trip to the dreaded Post Office or bank.

The limit won’t be small, its only during the transition period while banks introduce cheque imaging is there a limit. By the end of the year some banks will have no limit and by next year all banks will have no limit.

This is obviously different for some businesses. All of our income is via cash, yet all the suppliers want paying by bank transfer. Our biggest day of the week is Saturday, but all the banks close at lunch time, so we now use a CashPlus account, and pay in at the post office Saturday evening.

We have opened a Starling account ready, but it is of no use to us until we can pay in cash at the post office. We are getting a bit frustrated at this constant “coming soon” status, without the slightest updates. Even a post every couple of weeks on here to say they are still working on it, but the coding is taking a bit longer, or they’re waiting on the post office, or whatever stage they’re at would help to keep us all happy.

I think your example is a prime reason why Starling should possibly advertise themselves as a “beta” product - Although…

1. Whose going to want to sign up to a beta bank?
  2. Do people really understand what a beta product is?
  3. People would still have the same frustrations they have.

But, Starling really is a beta product - Development takes time, partnerships take time, things can change with the wind when you are developing something as complex as a banking system/app.

If every user was 100% aware that Starling is not anywhere close to being a finished article (probably not even 10%), I’m sure a lot of these threads wouldn’t exist.

Couple that with the very heavy focus on mobile (I appreciate Starling have said they are working on cash/cheque deposits), but it’s still a mobile bank primarily, then you have a case where…

It’s a bank that focusses very heavily on the mobile side of things… and it’s still in beta (testing so to speak).

If everyone understood that, these little annoyances (or big annoyances in some cases), would subside.

Just my opinion.

Paying in cash and cheques isn’t a nice to have, it’s a must when it comes to current accounts - particularly the “best current account”! Maybe in the future this won’t be the case but it definitely is at the moment.

Especially with business accounts and sole trader accounts, many small business take cash.

I like to be able to see exactly where my money has gone each month so paying it in even if you take it back out soon after helps me do that, especially with Starling’s categorisation of transactions

Appreciate everyone has different needs, but if paying in cash and cheques were essential for me to make a bank my first choice, I wouldn’t use a mobile only branchless bank.

Then again, I do believe you should make most of your choices that will impact you daily on what fits your needs now, not what you might need in the future, or what might need my needs in the future.

Again, I appreciate everyone has different needs and expectations, just my thoughts on the annoyance around the Post Office delay.

That’s the reason I don’t accept people giving me cash, and I avoid withdrawing it. It’ll just get spent on nonsense!

I think the annoyance is mainly because this was promised in Spring, then it became June then it was put back to July. If the next update is in a couple of weeks, it sounds like it isn’t coming in July.

It’s important to manage people’s expectations and on this occasion that hasn’t happened.