Ask to authorise Transaction

Revolut and Starling have fantastic options for securing cards.
A major factor in me using revolut was the ability turn on and off magstripe / contactless / chip and pin.

This could be irritating when I forgot I’d left them disabled and a transaction was then declined.

I don’t know what the relevant timeouts for a authorising a transaction are, but would it be feasible to allow a user to be notified if a transaction was taking place and about to be declined due to one of the above being disabled and allow a quick override?

Location-based Fraud Prevention
WatchOS Complications

YES! The first time I used Revolut it was declined at the airport buying duty free :wink: as I had manged to put the limit on (at £0!) while playing and didn’t know. I got an alert instantly on my phone but it was to late to run the transaction again as I was going to be late for the plane. If I could have just said “YES Authorise transaction” on my phone in the popup that would have made this whole system perfect. :smiley:

Maybe Starling Bank can do this! Resolving this accidental disabling issue. I can’t imagine that a 10 second delay while you got your phone out of your pocket (or the watch app! :wink: ) would be to much for an internet based system.

I feel this comment you made on my topic should be referenced here as you mentioned extra functionality not mentioned in this topic that I like like allowing potential to ask to move funds from other accounts (maybe part of the newly announced “Goal” system) into this account. Although my understanding of this new Goal system is that it will fall into the “Savings” if you try to spend more than you have in your normal account automatically.

Yes I should have put that here…stream of consciousness!

It’s not really possible to ask for authorisation ‘live’ as the timeouts are very low (I believe 1 second for Starling, and a little higher for direct card processors). Perhaps there could be something like a ‘Was this you?’ alert and if you select yes it will authorise the transaction on a second try.

I guess this could be done in a similar way to how legacy banks block your card for suspected fraud now, except instead of having to go through the rig moral of contacting your bank (or going though the painfully tedious SMS fraud process with banks like Barclays) you could just hit a yes/no push notification much like Duo Security and Google do:

Duo also shows a full screen of information if you just click on the Push Notification without clicking Approve/Deny but it won’t let me screenshot that. You could have a the basic approve/deny that shows basically the same information as a normal Starling push notification and then clicking on it could bring up more info, like when you look at the full transaction details currently in the Starling app.

So @admdly I just read that as “You’ve got to be quick…” :joy:
But seriously that’s a bit disappointing but I guess if the alert could popped up enough info on the App to allow the user to rectify what ever issue caused the declining of payment (in my case for that Airport payment popup the Limit page (if we have/get one) and say it needs adjusting to allow the payment.

That would be a LOT better than just saying “Payment Declined Limit Reached” which is what Revolut notification showed (then disappeared with no history!) and made no sense to me as I believed the monthly payment limit was off so assumed it was something else.

BUT again with this kind of discussions going on I’m sure Starling Bank can find the best solution for it’s users and security! :smiley:

If @admdly’s believe that the timeout is 1 second then the popup “Authorise” won’t work. :frowning:

I meant as a post-failure thing much like legacy banks having seen @admdly s post.

I think my only other concern is that I don’t think this should be used for every transaction, just for limits and fraud. I can see people would think this is great for everything but I can just see this being annoying for ourselves and other people queuing behind us at checkouts whilst we mess about getting our phones out to authorise transactions!

Plus there’s always the danger of the dreaded dead battery. Anyone who uses Android/Apple Pay and found the frustration of a dead battery, imagine then not being able to use your physical card too because you’ve set it to always require authentication before you buy anything!

Fortunately, I’ve not had a decline on my Starling card so I wouldn’t know what it does, but I would hope that it would do something similar to Monzo and keep the transactions in your feed, with an explanation if possible. Like when my Amazon Dash buttons fell off the cupboard and decided to try and order £50 worth of Lenor Unstoppables which ironically were stoppable by Monzo!

I’m sure nobody is talking about for EVERY transaction! haha that WOULD as you said be crazy! I only mean for things like when you try to use your card and it’s disabled (in the app) or there is a spend limit you have hit or as you said fraud. :slight_smile:

You’re right, Gaz, Starling will arrive at a well-considered solution, and this thread, which is getting into the guts of the issue, will surely help. :+1:

I thought that may be the case but an auth on second try with a helpful suggestion (one click action) on topping up account if that was a reason would be excellent

We’re definetely not talking about every transaction here, just trying to improve the user experience, efficiency and security should a declined transaction take place.

As to irriating others, it much quicker to tap a notification and then a yes this was me or yes this was me please make a quick topup and try again, than it is to manaully open the app, got through settings etc and renable or manually top up.

I think santander does something similar to what you’re suggesting. A payment is declined because it may be fraud so a yes/no text is sent. Simply reply yes to say its you and you can put the transaction through again without issue. This is done via text but I presume there’s no reason it can’t be done via the app and for the situation you’re describing.