Android Tip: Notification Log

I’ve read a few posts on here from people who have missed or accidently dismissed notifications from the Starling app, e.g. someone recently missed an unpaid Direct Debit notification.

Here’s a handy tip for Android users that will let you view all the notifications you’ve received recently:

1. Long press a blank area of your home screen.
  2. Select “Widgets”.
  3. Long press the “Settings” widget and drop it onto your homescreen.
  4. From the list that appears, choose “Notification log”.

Now, if you accidently dismiss a notification or just want a reminder of other notifications you’ve received, open this widget. You’ll be presented with a list of all notifications that have been generated recently. If you want more information just click on one and it will expand to show you all the detail, including the message from the original notification.

This works on all stock Android phones and some others too. It’s been available since Android 4.3 Jellybean. If for any reason it doesn’t work on your particular device, there are a number of apps available in the Play Store that will let you view the same log.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Dan

Notification history
Timeline of Notifications
Direct debit notifications
Notification doesn't link to item

That’s a really useful tip - thanks @danmullen. I didn’t even realise that was possible but it helps with some notifications I’ve missed from other apps too! :smiley:

You’re welcome @JamesPratley :grinning:

That’s awesome Dan :+1:

Brilliant, thank you! I shall have a good look in the settings widget now.

Notification log isn’t in the list on my phone. I’m using a One Plus 5.

Which OS are you running? I know it works in all stock Android from 4.3 and up. It works in some non-stock too but not all.

Running Android 8.1.0 / OxygenOS 5.1.2.

Nor my OnePlus 5T

Looks like that widget has been removed from OxygenOS.

Ah that’s a shame!

I got two new Samsungs last month both run Android 7.0 but neither have the widget :frowning:

Doesn’t work on my honor or huawei both running Android 7.0

It definitely works on Pixel and Nexus devices, and I’m sure it works on Motorola phones too. There are definitely others.

Obviously manufacturer dependent then, Huewai myself with android 8 with no widget.

Yep - works fine on mine (Moto G5S - Android 7.1.1)

It might be worth amending the title with a *device specific caveat.

Works on my Essential PH1 on stock android 8.1

I did put this at the bottom of the post. I don’t know which specific manufacturers it works with so best just to try it out and, if it doesn’t work, there are apps available that will give you the same thing.

@danmullen Thank you for that, I will give it a try!