Additional code for online purchases

Ugh, really? :confused:

Dreadful! Might stop shopping online and just just shops.

That’s not good more stuff to do.

So I’m additon to the CVV, and “verified by visa/Mastercard 3D secure” now I May also need a landline to receive a phone call with a code.

Wow Talk about 1 step forward 10 steps back.

I appreciate there’s a bit of over exaggerating here but seriously?

I’m sure Starling will have a slick implementation when this extra security measure is forced upon us. They have the ability and flexibility to do these things differently. This can’t be said for the traditional banks. You can only imagine what clunky solution they’ll botch together.

High street revival. :grinning:

Someone will bring out a pager like device for those without a phone. :joy:

TSB offer a basic Android phone for business customers to use their equivalent of a digital card reader.

When I was notified about this by First Direct the assumption (by them) was that the code would arrive over the mobile phone network. Here in deepest Dorset we don’t have a mobile phone signal, so I called them to ask about alternative methods. I was told “we are still working it out”. R-

Wow, that’s not really what you want to hear from a bank is it. :slightly_frowning_face:

Also what happens in the case of a lost device?

This is exactly why I left FD. They security measures severely hindered the usability. There has to be a fine balance between the two, and this is why I’m confident that Starling will have a slick answer. I’d like to see the payment authorised with either TouchID or FaceID. Codes are prehistoric. Might it be as simple as open the Starling app using fingerprint and once that authentication has taken place, then the app will then allow payments for x minutes.

We already have a unique code that refreshes every so often - it’s in the Customer Service area. I’d guess that this would be the natural solution, though I’d prefer something even simpler like a notification that you can just click to approve a transaction.

Neat @Ad13. Like it. R-

I doubt in practice its going to be a big deal, once people have to start entering pin for contactless transactions, people will get used to having to sometimes enter a code, so it will just become normal.

White lists and so on will come into play so again not sure its going to be such a big deal. No real different to two factor authentication on websites, once it knows its you, it doesn’t keep asking.

The issue will be how different banks do it, Barclays are bound to do it through its mobile app, First Direct will make it complicated. Lloyds will stick to its current code system just adapt it slightly and so on.

And hopefully TSB will have collapsed by then.

@Lewys - classic!

How would this affect products like Curve i wonder? If each transaction i make on curve they then charge as a online transaction to the chosen card (have i got that right?), this could cause issues i’d have thought?

I assume you would just add Curve to your whitelist for the underlying funding card.

this seems frustrating.

I understand the importance of fighting fraud, but this goes too far in the way it will impact customer experience.

I’d have preferred to have used one time use (or vendor specific?) virtual cards, or to have gone down the dynamic CVV route.

I wonder how this will affect the rest of the world?

For example, will WE need to do it when buying something in the US. Or will someone in Australia need to do it when buying something from France.

Would that then cause an issue, as someone in Australia might not need to do it normally and their bank might not have a process in place.

I guess it all depends at what level the check is carried out. Sounds like it is going to be a new version of ‘Secure Code’ and ‘Verified by Visa’.

Hopefully a better version… When I had my capital one card I found myself resetting my password every single time I paid for something because of the complexity requirements for the password