Ability to disable Direct Currency Conversion

In a couple of occasions I have been charged at the DCC rate for a foreign currency transaction when I have rather had my bank do the conversion. Is there any way that we could have a slider to disable DCC, or is this a MasterCard function that we can’t control?

John

As its done by the merchant’s terminal, you need to ensure you choose to pay in local currency. Nothing Starling can do to change this.

Thought as much, but no harm in asking!

Annoying though.

John

The payment terminal should ask you which currency after you’ve entered your pin. If paying via PayPal you can change the settings so it always charges your card in the currency of the transaction rather than PayPal profiting from you via their own terrible exchange rate.

If the terminal doesn’t give the option, then the operator has already made the option for you, tell the operator that you wish to pay in Euro, he will have to void the transaction and restart.

MasterCard considers forced DCC a valid reason for a dispute under Chargeback Code 4846, so Starling can dispute these transactions for you

Thanks for the reply. This particular transaction was a bowl of noodles and the difference between paying in GBP and HKD less than 50p so hardly worth the trouble.

It was the principle, had I been buying dan iPad or something the difference could have been worth having.

I have subsequently been back to the same noodle shop, and when I insisted on paying in HKD they said they were unable. Likely story.

There is a thread in Revolut Community about the same thing and there have been various suggestions It seems that the first 6 digits of the card number give away the country the card was issued. Somebody suggested a setting in the app to decline payments in GBP.

It gets worse, I have a U.K. issued prepaid card but held in USD. A colleague was reporting that when he tried to take USD out of a multi currency ATM at Heathrow, it wanted to charge in GBP (which would have meant an exchange from USD to GBP because the card was issued in the U.K.), but that would have then been converted into USD, the currency in the card.
So USD - GBP - USD in the same transaction, on an ATM from the issuer of the card.

JT