A daft question about euro accounts - nicely answered ๐Ÿ˜€

Iโ€™m off to France tomorrow but this is a general query about cash withdrawals and transactions generally.

I have a euro current account alongside my Starling account. Is there any difference between using the respective cards ?

No such thing as a daft question. Itโ€™s a learning opportunity for others, too.

Fair point. Now Iโ€™m waiting for the advice to come flooding inโ€ฆ:thinking:

Me too. Iโ€™m interested to learn! :wink:

If a euro card was issued in that country and the issuing bank was a member of something similar to the UKโ€™s LINK ATM network then if a local ATM was not directly connected to the big networks of Mastercard and Visa it would still work due to being authorised to connect to that local system

Hi @Graham - If you use your Starling account (GBP) then the currency conversion will be completed using the Mastercard standard exchange rate at the point the make the transaction. The mastercard exchange rate is often the best but naturally depending on the market the rate and number of Euros youโ€™ll get for a ยฃ will change. But we wonโ€™t charge you any additional exchange mark up or fees for cash withdrawals or card transactions.

If you use your other card for a Euro account there is no need for the currency conversion and so in answer to your questionโ€ฆ to work out which gives you a better deal really depends on when or how you move money into your Euro account and as @MIROW suggests whether the bank is local or part of local ATM networks and charges.

I hope this helps.
Sarah

Thanks @sarah.guha and thanks @MIROW. Thatโ€™s really helpful (and spookily simple, put that way๐Ÿ˜€).

Thanks @sarah.guha I am off my hols Saturday, so useful for me also :slight_smile: